I have had the privilege of working with some incredible individuals – members of the Mayor’s Seniors Hall of Fame. This is a committee which recognizes the volunteer contributions made by seniors throughout our city. Of course, we are privileged to have a tremendous Seniors Centre right here in Thornhill which can proudly boast one of the largest memberships in Markham.
The seniors of our community have made Markham what it is today and we should commit to the following:
- Markham must have a vision of enhancing liveability and being one of the best cities in Canada to live, regardless of age.
- Value and respect individuals regardless of age.
- All generations have much to teach and learn from each other.
- People of all ages are safe in their homes and neighbourhoods.
- Safety has physical, environmental, financial and health aspects.
- The city’s transportation systems, urban design and physical infrastructure allow all people to participate in full lives. No one should be barred by mobility or resources from involvement in city life.
- Older people have ready access to programs, employment, activities and services that help them stay engaged, respected and appreciated.
- With age is a wisdom and experience which is gift to our city. We will value all the individuals who bring it to us